Feb 9, 2013

sneezing pandas

Working at a preschool has its perks. I get paid to play on playgrounds and read stories to kids all morning! One of my classes most recent favorites in the book department has been Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman. It's a book about a baby panda with a very powerful sneeze. There is, thus, lots of sneezing in the book.

I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, so I've been reading it to them basically every day. They LOVE it. Afterwards they run around doing fake sneezes and taking our classroom's panda puppets and flinging them around the room.


It really struck me, watching them imitate Chu's whirlwind sneezes, how powerful books can be. They have the potential to mold and shape us. I don't know if that's rewarding or terrifying from the POV of an author!!!

Also, sidenote, I tweeted Neil Gaiman to tell him about my kids and he retweeted me!! *fangirl faint*

What I have NOT enjoyed getting from the preschool is Norovirus (aka, the stomach flu). This Saturday has consisted of lots of couch-laying, tentative tea-sipping and snuggling with my puppy. (Who is HUGE.)

GAH. The cuteness.

Book 2 is still coming along. Slowly, slowly. I so wish I could write a perfect first draft in a month, but this just isn't how it happens for me. I'm on month 5 now. And about 75k in. Closing in on the end (hopefully), but who knows when that will happen!

And then there's revising...

Okay, I'm going to stop rambling and sleep more on my couch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment