Sep 11, 2012

why novel writing is like giving birth

During the past month I've come to a singular conclusion.

Writing books is like giving birth.

I've written several books. I have never actually birthed a child. But hear me out.

The other day I was moaning and groaning about my current WIP to my tireless, stalwart husband who hears me moan and groan about these things quite often. In one of my more drama-queen moves, I threw my hand over my brow and said, "This book is trying to kill me."

Then, after a wave of deja-vu, I sat up and said, "I'm pretty sure I've said that before."

Lo and behold, I did. Turns out Cutthroat Novel was also trying to kill me. Which is why I nicknamed it Cutthroat Novel in the first place.

It's funny, because even if I try really hard, I can't really remember how terrible and brutal those first few months with Cutthroat were. But according to le blog, they were. While in the midst of the rough draft throat of LUMINANCE HOUR 2, I have come up with a theory. Writers only write second novels (and third and fourth and etc), because they forget what an utter, terrifying, agonizing process writing an entire novel is. Just like women have more than one child because their brain blanks out on how painful the actual labor was.

Why did I choose this profession again?

Just kidding. Just like the mothers always tell me, the end product is more than worth the pain it costs. I just have to keep reminding myself that as I keep sweating away!

No comments:

Post a Comment